Rolex is a Swiss watchmaking manufacturer. They are renowned around the world for producing some of the best and most highly regarded watches on the market. They are also a leader in luxury watches for men and women, and many consumers of Rolex consider their timepiece a status symbol. Indeed, in 2007, Business Week magazine ranked Rolex watches as the number one most valuable global brand.
However, did you know that while now based in Geneva, Switzerland and considered a Swiss watch manufacturer, Rolex watches was actually founded in England? Indeed, in 1905 Hans Wilsdorf and his brother in law started the company that would become Rolex. However, in 1919 the pair moved the business to Geneva where it remains headquartered to this day.
Today, Rolex is known as an innovative and leading watchmaker. Among the company's many impressive innovations are the following achievements:
- The first waterproof wristwatch "Oyster", 1923
- The first wristwatch with an automatically changing date on the dial
- The first wristwatch with an automatically changing day and date on the dial
- The first wristwatch case waterproof to 100 m (330 ft)
- The first wristwatch to show two time zones at once
- The first watchmaker to earn chronometer certification for a wristwatch
The Watchery is a reputable retailer of Rolex watches and has an extensive number of Rolex watches for men and women, including the covetable Rolex Daytona.